Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing!
Blast off to the Library!
To keep children reading over the summer, the Library helps families in grades K-6 track what they read and rewards young readers for their efforts. Scroll down for registration information, logging books, and important dates. Be sure to check out the Library’s suggested reading lists and newsletter available online (above) and at the Library.
Shoot for the Stars! Reading Rewards
If you participated last year, you will remember that by attending educational programs (Workshops) at the Library, it helped you earn invitations to special events as well as collecting Spirit Sticks, embroidered incentives for key chains and backpacks. For events attended between July 1st and August 8th , an exclusive Spirit Stick patch will be earned.
In addition, all children and their families can participate in our StickTogether Mosaic Poster sticker puzzle and see art come to life!
Digital vs. Paper?
In the age of all things digital, ditch the paper log for a free account that allows you to track multiple children’s reading with a single log-in. You can also sign up for personalized book recommendations by email.
How to Register for Beanstack
- Visit emersonlibrary.beanstack.org. Enrollment begins June 1st!
- Did you sign up for an account last year? If yes, use the menu in the upper right corner to log in. Once you log in, you’ll be asked to update each child’s information from last year. You will also be automatically enrolled in this year’s Summer Reading Program.
- If you’re never had a Beanstack account, click register.
- Fill in the required fields. Only one account per email address. You will be able to add multiple children of different ages/grades later.
- You will now see the 2019 Summer Reading Program dashboard. This is where you can track your progress towards earning digital badges.
- Click “Switch Readers” to add additional children.
- To receive personalized book recommendations, click “Personalize” and select your child’s reading level and interests (what topics, types of characters, and genres they like to read).
How to Log Books
- Click “Log Reading”.
- Select “Books” or “Pages”.
- Fill in the required fields. Type the title and author of the book you’ve read. Title suggestions will appear as you are typing. However, these suggestions do not reflect all the books a child could read. Don’t worry if your title doesn’t appear in the suggestions.
- If logging in by pages, for grades 3-6 only, every 50 pages = 1 book!
- Click “Log”.
- View your Reading Log by clicking “The Log” to see what a reader has logged. This log displays only the books for the reader whose name appears on the left side of the screen.
- Click “Switch Readers” to switch to a different child and log their reading.
- You will be notified automatically upon logging a book if you qualify for a badge.
- Only books logged between July 1st and August 8th will count towards summer reading rewards.
How to Earn Digital Badges
- Register your child entering grades K through 6th between June 1st and July 31st.
- Log five books between July 1st and August 8th to earn the “Rocket Riders” digital badge. Stop by the Library to pick up your invitation to the end of summer party and “Reading Counts” Spirit Stick.
- Log in an additional 20 books to earn exclusive digital badges to complete the program!
- May 28th — Summer Reading Blast-off! Mad Science: Reach for the Moon Show!
- June 1st — Summer Reading registration begins
- July 1st — Begin logging books
- July 31st — Last day to register for Beanstack
- August 8th — Last day to log books
Please note, only Emerson residents can participate in the Summer Reading Program.